[TowerTalk] Wooden Towers

NPAlex at aol.com NPAlex at aol.com
Fri Dec 1 06:49:38 EST 2006

Bob,
I think in an old ARRL Handbook circa 1940-50's will have some details on a
four sided, windmill style wooden structure.  My buddy W9SKV and his father
built one in the early 50's.  It may not have been more then 24 ft however.  The
construction technique as I recall was four legs, sloping from about a 3 foot
square base to a "mast" of a single 2 x 2.  The sides used 1 x 2 ladder like
cross pieces with a connecting diagonal piece as well.  Very much like many
steel towers of today are configured.

Painted white and erected in the back of their garden it was quite an
imposing artiface.  At the time it was used only to support the end of a longwire
antenna.   In that same period I constructed the "A" frame wood structure using 2
x 2's and tall fence posts in the ground to support the structure.  In
addition a single guy or "stay" was used opposite the pull of my long wire.

Check 1950 or so Handbooks, I think you will find these structures referenced
there.

Norm W4QN
(W9QQN back then)
Message: 7