[TowerTalk] Locking a Turnbuckle...??

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Fri Dec 1 16:33:39 EST 2006

Galvanized locking nuts for turnbuckles can be purchased from marine supply ( not sailboat!) wholesalers, typically supplied in pairs (a left hand and a right hand nut).   It can be difficult to purchase small quantities from wholesale suppliers if you're not a regular customer.

Someone recommended McMaster-Carr; however, their left hand threaded nuts are plated and will not fit over galvanized turnbuckle threads.

My recommendation is that you stick with the standard practice in the  T O W E R  industry:   use a safety wire in a figure 8 configuration.   Turnbuckle locknuts are not a generally accepted solution in the tower industry.

73!
Frank
W3LPL