[TowerTalk] Grounding of Amateur Radio installations

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Dec 8 09:36:03 EST 2006

At 09:18 AM 12/8/2006, Phil Camera wrote:
>"Something to bear in mind is that, in general, most jurisdictions don't bother enforcing the NEC for amateur radio antennas"
>

>Which actually is too bad because these guidelines are exactly the measures one should do for a properly installed safety & lightning prevention grounding system.  And every single measure must be in place or else you're leaving an entry route for Mother Nature to bite you.
>
>Phil  KB9CRY

Which is fine if your shack is in an optimal location so that you can do everything by the book, but what if it's on the second floor of an old house?  I attempt a single-point ground in the shack, but it is a long way from earth ground.  I am not so naive as to believe I'm going to be able to survive a hit if the cables from my tower are connected.  Is simple disconnection at the shack entrance up to code?  I don't know, but it's all I have.

73, Pete N4ZR