[TowerTalk] Rebuilding T2-X

BRENT BAUM brentbaum5323 at msn.com
Fri Dec 8 17:09:45 EST 2006

I'm not a paint expert, but I think you could have it powder coated. Of
course areas with critical clearances would have to be masked as powder
coating is much thicker than enamel. DuPont sells an extreme 4 part
epoxy/enamel that will last forever, however the color alone runs about $150
per gallon, then add the reducer, fixer, etc. I've had good luck with spray
can epoxies for small parts, $5 and up for rattle cans. Be sure to apply a
good primer coat first.

For degreasing, a bath and scrub in a commercial degreasing formula followed
by the appropriate rinse agent should do the trick for the housing and
bearings. Make certain that all the degreaser is rinsed away, otherwise you
will degrade the new lubricant. Don't do the motor or other electrical items
this way, however.

Anyway, these are the tricks that work on the 1954 MG-TF I'm restoring. (2
expensive hobbies, I know.)

K7MEI, Brent