[TowerTalk] Roof Counterpoise

Jason Reber jreber at thebluezone.net
Sat Dec 9 11:53:26 EST 2006

Greetings Everyone-

I would like to set up a vertical antenna at my QTH, but my small
backyard is arranged such that it is impossible to set up a good radial
system. In addition, my house is right in the middle of the yard, so the
best place to put the antenna would be on my roof.
Rather than running radial wires all over my roof, I was wondering if
anyone on the list has tried making a counterpoise system by placing
wire mesh (such as rabbit wire) on the underside of the roof in the
attic? I have easy access to the underside of the roof, so the mesh
could be stapled (using short staples, of course) right to the roof
sheathing underside. The pieces of mesh would all be tied together to
create a large counterpoise.
I have not been able to find much information about the effectiveness of
such a counterpoise in the Antenna book, or from other source, so I
would welcome anyones experience or advice.

Thanks,

Jason   AC7JW