[TowerTalk] height fold over kits?

Gary - N3JPU n3jpu at speakeasy.net
Sat Dec 9 15:56:22 EST 2006

Just took delivery of a 60' Heights folder over (non crank-up) a couple of
weeks ago, actually it was personally delivered by Drake himself from
Heights.

I looked at this vs. a Tash (had a Tri-ex 37' foldover that this is
replacing) and UST 55' foldover. The Height's is spec'd for it's windload at
10' above the tower apex, the Tri-ex I had was only at 4'. This Heights is
spec'd at 23 sq ft at 80MPH and folds-over at the 4.5' level.

I will have a pair of 30' 6M beams stacked on this. The one factor I liked
about the Heights was the weight, every section I could either hand carry or
put on a simple hand dolly and move it around. Even the 37' Tri-ex required
a lot of effort, but if you have the manpower this should not happen
frequently. Also shipping costs were 1/3 of the heavy steel towers.

If you do go with the Heights get the Stiffened Bracing as it will more than
double the "Allowable Horizontal Shear", which I did as I was considering a
50' boom 6M antenna. But I can't fold over a 50' boom as it will foul
obstacles.

I opted for another fold-over as it was much nicer to work on any tower part
without leaving the ground.

Oh, the other reason for the Heights vs. UST/Tash, was that I could use
Heliax. With the crank-ups Superflex was the best I could do.

BTW, for my county building permit I needed stamped PE drawings that were
spec'd for a BWS of 80MPH. Heights complied with this.

My concrete has another few weeks to cure so I have not put it up yet.

Gary Mitchelson
N3JPU Montgomery Co. MD  FM19
USAF MARS and SHARES: AFA1PU
MD/DC State MARS Director AFF1MD
USAF MARS Technical Services Manager AFN1TS
http://www.mitchelson.org/