[TowerTalk] "Wind Load" "Wind Area"

Robert Chudek - KØRC k0rc at citlink.net
Sun Dec 10 02:01:41 EST 2006

Bob,

Windload would be measured in pounds of thrust.

Windarea would be measured in square feet or meters.

No, windload cannot simply be added together. Neither can windarea.

Here's a link to a basic mast calculator: http://www.math.niu.edu/KARC/mast/

It should give you an idea of the calculations necessary to determine the survivability of an antenna system on a single mast. Calculating tower capacities works on the same principles, but there's engineers who make their living designing and certifying tower and antenna installations.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Message: 10