[TowerTalk] Cutting 3/16" EHS..

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 12 16:19:45 EST 2006

When I put up my tower, I used a plain old hacksaw.  I purchased a
fine-tooth blade and a roll of the plastic tape used to seal parcels for
shipping.  At the point where I wanted to cut, I marked the cable with a
permanent marker, wrapped a couple of layers of tape around it at that spot,
steadied the cable in a vise or even a crack in the workbench, and sawed it
in two.  The tape prevented the strands from unwinding and fanning out as
the cut was made.  For a small project such as one tower, I wouldn't think
it would be worthwhile to even spend $30 for a special tool to cut the wire.

A good sharp pair of bolt cutters will work well if you have them on hand.
I would recommend the tape no matter how you cut the wire.  EHS is a pain to
work with, and seems to have a will of its own.

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/