[TowerTalk] Follow up on AM interference

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Dec 13 02:17:55 EST 2006

Go to the FCC website on the following link.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/

Click on the link for AM query, then plug in the lat/lon of your QTH at the
section near the bottom of the form, with a distance of 15 miles or so. Get
your coordinates down to seconds for the most accurate data back from the
FCC.

You'll get all the licenses, with power, whether they have different
day/night power and/or patterns, and distance from you. DA means
directional antenna, DA-N means directional at night, DA2 means directional
with different patterns day and night.

Common intermod products are 2A+B, 3A+2B, even A+B and A+B+C. Your
combination gives 2A+B products at 3820 and 3920, and 3rd harmonics at 3720
and 4020. These are all carrier frequencies, and they ought to be good to
fractional Hz if it's a real broadcast station (as opposed to a
bootlegger).

Again, it really helps to listen to the detected audio and compare it to
your AM radio to nail down exactly which station(s) are in the mix. If it
isn't coming out of one of their transmitters, you might find some non-
linear detector in your neighborhood detecting and re-radiating it. You
might be able to take a ham talkie that tunes the frequency of the
interference (that is, the hamband) and try to find it. The HF receiver in
my THF6A, for example, defaults to a built-in loopstick for frequencies
below 10 MHz.

73,

Jim K9YC