[TowerTalk] Bye bye CoaxSeal...

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 13 20:21:23 EST 2006

I once tried to use CoaxSeal to repair a break in a buried coax line.  I
wrapped the repair with coax seal, then coated the whole thing liberally
with roofing cement, and then wrapped old fashioned cloth friction tape over
the tar so that it wouldn't mix in with the dirt.  Then I re-buried it.  A
couple of years later I ended up replacing the entire buried coax for an
unrelated reason after discovering that it had high loss because rodents had
eaten small holes in the outer jacket, allowing water to contaminate the
wire.  While I was at it, I disassembled my  repair job to see how well it
had held up.  The whole thing was thoroughly impregnated with water, between
the tar and coax seal, and between coax seal and the cable.

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/