[TowerTalk] coax seal

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at optonline.net
Wed Dec 13 21:03:12 EST 2006

This stuff is insidious.  There is no evidence that
it results in a superior wx seal to two layers of
scotch 33 by themselves.  At least, none that I've seen,
and no empirical evidence in its favor.

In fact, I had ONE connector which was wet internally, when
I finally peeled off the tape and coax seal, to get at it.
No idea where the moisture came from, but it was there.

What I do now is use scotch 33, wrap it tightly in one direction,
with 50% overlap.  Then, I break it, and wrap it again, with
the warp in the opposite direction.  These connections have
lasted longer than the antennas to which they're connected,
with no wx problems.  The tape must be warm enough that it
stretches a bit, and becomes conformal.

n2ea