[TowerTalk] Subject: temporary guys

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sat Dec 16 09:39:09 EST 2006

In a message dated 12/15/2006 11:52:12 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I will be helping a friend erect a 100' 45G (plans changed  from 190' to
100' due to county permitting issues; the tower is to get 900mhz  internet, not
amateur application and thus subject (in our county) to more  regs).

>  The guys are to be at 31, 61 and 91' according to the  drawings.

>  Questions: First, is there a "strong" reason not  to guy at the 100'
level, when all that is going up is the access point, it's  directional antenna to
the backhaul, and a small omni-directional  antenna?

    The reason that the Rohn drawings typically show  the top guys below the
top of the tower is that the drawings only consider a  commercial antenna
load; that is, there'll be omni antennas or  dishes mounted at the top and the
guys would be in the way of the  antennas and mounts - it's just a practical
consideration.

    Yes, put your guys for an amateur installation at  the top of the tower.
Either there or near the rotator plate since that's  where the wind induced
torque shows up. That way the torque goes from the  antenna and mast and rotator
more directly to the guy wires rather than  torquing a tower section. Either
method is FB.

>  Second...what  about temporary guys when putting it up.  If we don't use
them, he'll be  up on 3 sections of unguyed tower, which just doesn't seem
right ;).   What material should we use for them?

    If the bottom section is in concrete you don't  need temporary guys.
Would you put temporary guys up the whole way? You don't  have to. The naked
sections are plenty strong - you'd need something like  having them hooked to your
car and then driving away before you'd pull them  down. Climbing them is
basically a psychological problem and potential pucker  inducer. If you don't feel
confident on them, get someone who is.

    OTOH if you're using a pier pin base, then yes,  you'll have to
temporarily guy them up to the first set of guys. Large rope or  wire cables work fine.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams