[TowerTalk] CW

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Sat Dec 16 10:36:12 EST 2006

> Listening to the HF bands today, is this not
> what people are scared of it becoming - already
> here?

You are already seeing the "benefits" of the relaxed examination
requirements.  It has been at least 15 years of the volunteer
examiner program, published question pools with answers that
encourage memorization rather than learning, and 'multiple guess'
CW testing.

> Training, elmering, developing.  Thats where the
> effort needs to be.

In the old days it took serious study with an old timer to learn
enough to pass the exam - it generally took a "second pass" after
one had a novice license to learn enough to pass General and/or
Advanced and one had to have held a Technician or higher license
for two years before even being eligible to take the Extra exam.
That structure encouraged mentoring.

The "memorize your way to success" structure works against any
mentoring.  It is now possible to know absolutely nothing,
and memorize one's way to an Extra in one sitting.

If you want "training, elmering, developing" restore the old
license structure, the non-public question pools, and CW exams.
Make amateur radio licensing more like an apprentice, journeyman,
master structure.  As it is, ANYONE can walk through the door
with maximum license privileges and not have had any previous
contact with the "right way" to do things.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV