[TowerTalk] Tram rope

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Mon Dec 18 16:11:46 EST 2006

In a message dated 12/18/2006 9:02:08 P.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
wc1m at msn.com writes:

For  example, the breaking strength of 7/16" nylon rope is about
4,500 lbs, with  a safe working load between 450 lbs and 900 lbs (some
references say no  more that 1/5 breaking strength, others say no more than
1/10 breaking  strength.)

I would prefer to use nylon rope for a tram line since it's lighter and
easier to handle than EHS.  The problem is however, with heavier beams the  stuff
tends to stretch.  In the process of dismantling my antenna farm in  FL last
spring I tried using it to slide tram down the longer boomed stuff (15  meter 6
el KLM).  The rope stretched and the antenna I was I taking down  from midway
up the tower sunk back closer to the tower and got pretty well  ensnared in
the guy wires below it.  It was a real PITA getting it  out.

I have no doubt the stuff you are using will hold the antenna, but be aware
nylon does stretch.  The ultimate solution would be some nice 3/16 aircraft
cable (like the stuff I stufff before I left for KH6)...sigh!

Bill K4XS/KH6