[TowerTalk] Very Old Grease Characteristics

Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 ooe at odessaoffice.com
Thu Dec 21 11:04:31 EST 2006

Finally, one I can help with!

Out here on the farm we see plugged up grease fittings all of the time.  In
fact, when I bought my 65' bucket truck the turret was stuck.

There are a couple of things to try.  First, remove the zirk and dig out
everything you can with a small screw driver or some such tool.  The grease
will indeed get hard as the solvents in it evaporate.

Once you have the hole cleaned out as well as you can, put the zirk back in
and grease the heck out of it.  Some of the new electric grease guns have
much more power than you are likely to be able to create with a hand grease
gun.

Usually, that'll kick things loose.  If not, open it back up, clean again
and spray everything with a penetrating oil.  Marvel Mystery oil or some
other favorite of yours.  On my bucket truck I used several different ones
over about a month period before it finally broke loose.

You may want to use a very light grease for that first shot, just to make it
a bit easier for it to force the new grease into any cracks in the old.

Also, if you can get a torch up there that'll help soften up the old grease.
Just be careful you don't start anything on fire.  Note: if the housing is
very thick at all you may need an oxy acetylene torch vs. a propane one.  At
the very least, you'll probably need a MAP torch.  They burn much hotter
than propane.  Be careful not to overdo the heat, don't want to get it all
read hot then have something bend on ya.  It's amazing how much a bit of
heat will often help in a case like this.

laters,
Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless