[TowerTalk] Help! Lots of Birds on Tower Problem !

N6KI Dennis Vernacchia n6ki_73 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 22 04:12:22 EST 2006

HELP !

   I now have a serious problem with dozens of small birds ( possibly
Starlings )
that for the past year only
have decided to roost on my 94 ft high 80 mtr antenna. They are pooping
all over my yard
and now the neighbor on east side is getting bird droppings in his
swimming pool etc.
and into his yard area if the prevailing wind from west is blowing.
If you go to QRZ.com you can see pix of my antenna system when you look
up my call.

I have a fake owl at top of mast and another owl at 22ft below on my Yagi.
For years the fake owls seemed to keep most birds away.
These are small birds with a long shrill type of cry.
Any idea how I am going to get them to leave permanently???

For years they would only stop by and perch for a few days a couple
times a year,
I assume coming and going somewhere but now they are permanent the past
year it seems.
I guess that means they built their nests somewhere nearby and that the
local owls have not
driven them off or attacked their nests ( or they owls can not get to
their nests. )

Any advice appreciated !!

I thought of trying to buy one of those billboard things that looks like
a dipole and rotates but not
sure I can adapt it to my mast system

73, Dennis N6KI
Sandy Eggo