[TowerTalk] GOOD DEAL ON A MY-TE WINCH IN ILLINOIS

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Fri Dec 22 08:40:34 EST 2006

In a message dated 12/21/2006 10:41:35 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  The winch that is being sold on eBay would work beautifully  on raising
tower
sections and antennas.  It allows multiturns of rope  and the operator can
let it slip to control the rate of "raise".  It  is really a capstan winch
with the winding barrel in the horizontal  orientation.  I wish I could
afford it.

Au contraire, it's  clearly a conventional winch. A capstan winch has an open
end (the end just  sticks out) so you can slew the rope on and off the
capstan easily and the  capstan is tapered to prevent the rope from bunching up and
jamming at one end.  The aforementioned winch has neither.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH