[TowerTalk] Tram

N7KA at comcast.net N7KA at comcast.net
Sat Dec 23 09:47:56 EST 2006

I,  like K1TTT, connect pull rope to the pulley as close to tram line as possible.  Also prior to starting the tram pull I attach a "comealong" as high on mast as possible to allow me to take weight off tram as soon as the antenna can be SAFELY reached.  When antenna is secure on the "comealong" I remove the antenna from the tram pulley.

My 20M 5el weights over 150lbs and boom is 53ft and was NO problem to tram.

I have an permanent attachment point on the boom to mast plate so do not worry about rope attachment to boom.

When tramming to a side mounted position I like to use a vehicle at bottom end of tram line.  When antenna is in approximate position I drive toward tower and the antenna swings closer to the tower where I can attach the "comealong" to the antenna and release from tram line.  I want control of the antenna and off tram line as soon as SAFELY possible.

Good luck with tram and PLAN, PLAN.  PLAN and THINK through the process many times.  It preparation that is always important.

Arne N7KA