[TowerTalk] Verticals

KC1DI davekc1di at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 08:51:14 EST 2006

>Howdy TT'ians
>
>I like verticals.  I have 5 of them up now.  160, 80 and 3 for 40.
>
>I know how they work and what to expect out of them.  What I was wondering,
>what happens if you put an end fed zepp antenna up vertically.  Feeding it
>at the bottom, just like if it was horizontal.  I'm sure the pattern would
>be totally different from a vertical.  You never see an all band antenna
>like that, vertical.  73 and Merry Christmas.
>
>Tom W7WHY

Hi Tom,

The main reason that you seldom see such a vertical antenna orientation of a
long wire is because a you increase in Frequency. the main lobe tends to
follow the wire.. for example if you mounted a 135 foot end fed zepp
vertically it would function on 80Meters as a half wave vertical.  work very
good, It would also work quite well as a 1/4 wave on 160M.  but as you begin
to increase the frequency more and more of the radiation will tend to be
straight up witch is ok if you interest is very local .. but for dx it isn't
so great. any antenna vertical antenna that approaches 3/4 wave long will
tend to be a cloud burner with most of it's radiation at higher angles.
Does that mean you'll never make contacts on the higher bands , No ! but it
will not play as a low angle radiator.  rule of thumb that I've always used
is to make the vertical no more than 5/8 wave at the highest operating
band.  thus a 44 foot vertical will work well from 80 to 20 Meters a 22 foot
from 14 through 10m should be ok.
hope this helps 73 and Merry Christmas to all
Dave KC1DI