[TowerTalk] Verticals

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 25 12:55:01 EST 2006

At 06:08 PM 12/24/2006, Bob Nielsen wrote:
>Of course, NEC4 isn't anywhere close to "free".

True, but the original poster was looking for a comparison. And that
comparison (NEC4 wasn't used in the previous comparison) might
justify forking out the few hundred bucks for the NEC4 engine.  Could
be worse.. other codes like HFSS are even pricier, but if you need
it, you need it.

MMANA also (I understand from reading.. I haven't used it) uses the
MININEC modeling code, not the NEC codes.
There are some significant differences, particularly for antennas
with "non thin wire" elements and ones that are "close to the ground".

FWIW, I use 4nec2 as the front/back end, and both NEC2 and NEC4 back
ends, although I've got a fair amount of one-off stuff for specific
applications in VB, C, and Matlab that calls the NEC4 (or NEC2) backend.