[TowerTalk] LOOKING FOR A USED CRANK UP SELF SUPPORTINGTUBULARTOWER

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 1 13:08:38 EST 2006

Steve, K7LXC Said:
>Hiya, Ted --
>
>     I wouldn't worry about the bolt pattern. The  existing bolts can be
>chopped off with a hand grinder and then you can  rent a drill with a
>concrete bit or a hammer drill to drill new holes.  Epoxy in the new anchor
>bolts and you're good to go. Construction guys do this  all the time and it
>works great. When you're done, the epoxy is typically  stronger than the
>concrete.
>
>Cheers,
>Steve   K7LXC
>TOWER TECH -
>Professional tower services for amateurs
>Cell: 206-890-4188

I am curious about the Epoxied anchor bolts.  Do the instructions have you
drill the holes for the bolts and epoxy in a way that the hole in the
concrete,  is lined up in the direction of the pull?  Or is the axis of the
user drilled hole, NOT  collinear with the force exerted?   Can the bond of
the epoxy and its smooth walled hole in the concrete withstand the stress?
Actually,  I think the bolts themselves have some sort of a sliding wedge
expansion feature too, which would also share a piece (maybe most?)  of the
force exerted...  Just curious...
73,   Pat AA6EG  aa6eg at hotmail.com