[TowerTalk] Simpler Version of Shunt Fed Tower - 80M?

Brian Maynard bmaynard at uri.edu
Fri Feb 3 20:13:49 EST 2006

This is a question for the group.  Thanks for reading and responding
as you can.  Brian, K1NW

I have a USTowers 55' crank up with a 4-L SteppIR.  I would like to
put up a shunt fed wire for 80M only.  I have read up on this and
despite it being called a "poor-man's vertical" I find the ~$400+
price tag for vacuum variable capacitors to be very prohibitive.

My question is:

If I am only looking for resonance on 80M can I just use high power
capacitors (recommendations welcome) and skip the vacuum variables?

Also I am using the standoffs for my feed and control lines, and
could not possibly tie the cables for these to the tower legs (I
raise and lower the tower regularly) - how will this affect
performance of the 80M wire?