[TowerTalk] Cable for a US Tower HDX 555 Tower

ChampionRadio@aol.com ChampionRadio at aol.com
Wed Feb 8 20:18:50 EST 2006

In a message dated 2/8/2006 2:37:29 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
penwiper at bis.midco.net writes:

>  Steve what determines when to replace the  Cable on the Tower Winch?

Hi, Phillip --

    The industry standards are:

1) damage to the cable. This means deformed, kinked or obvious  damage.

2) broken strands. You can have up to 6 broken strands and still be  in spec.

3) rust. Real rust - not just surface rust.

    To be honest, I haven't seen a ham tower cable  that was bad enough to be
replaced. Especially based on the above criteria.  I'll bet you a nickel that
yours isn't that bad either.

>  I have a HDX 555 tower and would like to  replace it with the Original
Size Cable or one size larger.

Oops - you have to go with the  original size; the whole tower is designed
around it.

    If in doubt, WWUSTS? What would US Tower say?  Your job is to follow the
manufacturer's specs.

>  If things go right I will also put an  Electric Winch on the Tower. Do you
sell this kind of Cable or could you steer  me to where I can get the Good
Cable. My old cable isn't frayed but I am  redoing the tower and Coax and
antenna system and want to get it right the  first time. I can't afford a screw-up
cause things only happen when the WX is  25 to 35 below zero.

    In the remote chance that you actually need new  cables, get them from
the factory.

    As far as adding a winch to your tower, it's not  an easy job plus the
main haul cable will have to be replaced as it's probably  too short for a
winch. You need more cable to go thru the winch mechanism.

If you really want to do something helpful to  your crank-up and its cables,
get some cable lubricant and do a PM once or  twice a year. (Champion Radio -
_www.championradio.com_ (http://www.championradio.com)  - sells the  PreLube 6
which is recommended by wire rope manufacturers.)

    The other things you can do to prolong the  service life of your cables
are:

1) exercise the tower a couple of times a months. Just run it  up and down
once or twice.

2) don't always park it at the same places. Vary the extended and  retracted
stop point - that way the cables don't take a set at the limits.

Those, along with the aforementioned PM, should  keep your cables in good
enough shape to last for years.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Cell: 206-890-4188

PS - These were really good questions so I've posted this on TowerTalk. I
hope you don't mind.