[TowerTalk] Blocking a crankup

Dan Hearn dhearn at wwnw.net
Fri Feb 10 15:14:25 EST 2006

My TX472 does not have power pull down so I slip a piece of pipe inside the
tower at the bottom and lower the tower so the top section rests on it. This
holds the top section up so the rotator is accessible from a 2 section
ladder against the tower. The ladder has one of those Horn shapped brackets
on it to prevent it sliding sideways. I tie the ladder to the tower at the
top before removing the rotator. I should mention that the pipe I insert is
in 2 pieces with a coupling in the middle because you cannot get the full
length pipe needed through the tower side. Also, I have a short piece of all
thread rod with a nut in the middle inserted in the top of the piece of
pipe. This goes into the center of one of the tower legs so the pipe cannot
slip off position. I have used the same technique to replace lift cables and
pulley bearings by using the pipe to release tension on the cable being
worked on. I have never found it necessry to climb the tower itself. I use
the ladder on both of my crankups. 73, Dan, N5AR