[TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..

Peter Chadwick g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 11 07:21:02 EST 2006

K4FMX said:
<A grounded tower is NOT less likely to be hit by lightning.
Actually a grounded tower is a little more likely to be hit than a non
grounded one.>
Somewhere, some years back, I remember seeing some University work that suggested that the grounded tower had a discharging effect that reduced the chance of strike in the vicinity, but when a strike did occur, it had a higher probability of hitting the tower. Same as a lightning conductor on a building.
Where to find the reference now is beyond me, though.....
73
Peter G3RZP