[TowerTalk] REMOTE SWITCHES

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Feb 12 10:26:10 EST 2006

I am currently using two of the TopTen 6-way switches in my remote SO2R switchbox.  They have been flawless in operation, even though they do not have many bells and whistles.  For example, the antennas are either selected or floating.  You can select more than one at a time, which could be a disadvantage in some applications, particularly because they work by supplyin 13 volts to the switchbox and then grounding one or more of the band select lines.  That means that it is theoretically possible to have two antennas connected at once due to a short in the control cable and not know it.  Seems to me that, in this context,  the control system that uses a single common ground and sends 13 volts to one or more of the six control lines is a better solution.

You might also take a look at MicroHam's switchboxes.  They seem to be very well designed and built.

73, Pete N4ZR