[TowerTalk] Blocking tower question

K7fe@aol.com K7fe at aol.com
Mon Feb 13 01:08:56 EST 2006

Craig, AE7I
I do not have any pictures of lumber mounted in my tower sections when  I am
climbing it. Yes, one 4"x4"x24" per section and very close to the bottom of
each upper section.  If you allow too much vertical drop, it could possibly
break the lumber.

My towers were made by Tower Master.  Tristo, Tower Master and US  Towers are
similar triangular design.  If you do not have the 4x 4, I  suppose that one
could use 2" OD thick wall galvanized pipe with a  long perpendicular bolt
through each pipe end to prevent the pipe from  slipping off the tower rungs.
You could even go as far as driving a wood  dowel into the pipe to help prevent
the pipe from collapsing in an accidental  tower section drop.  I do climb
mine from time to time, but I always  remember that the only thing holding the
tower up is ONE thin steel cable,  unless I install the "blocks" on the way up.
Be safe.

73,
Terry, K7FE