[TowerTalk] Fw: motorizing the hand winch on a US Tower MARB550

Dr. Howard S. White drpaper at msn.com
Wed Feb 22 03:06:29 EST 2006

Take a look at www.ky6la.com

We did this for the raising fixture.. but it also works for the tower..

We used a Socket and 1/2 Power drill to power the Hand winch...

It helps to get someone to weld the Winch Nut to the shaft.
Bought a Socket at Sears that fit the Winch Nut.  $8
Cut a Socket Extension Shaft ($5) and ground it to fit a 1/2" Drill Chuck
Borrowed a 1/2" variable speed reversible drill .. low RPM mode (350 RPM)

Works great
Howard S. White Ph.D. P. Eng., VE3GFW/K6  ex-AE6SM  KY6LA
Website: www.ky6la.com
"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
"Ham Antennas Save Lives - Katrina, 2003 San Diego Fires, 911"