[TowerTalk] Rotor Stripping Gears?

CubexCo@aol.com CubexCo at aol.com
Tue Feb 28 13:20:27 EST 2006

In a message dated 2/28/2006 12:02:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:
and clamp and that held it.   Only problem came when we had a really bad
windstorm, instead of slipping,  it took the gears out in the rotor.

        This sounds like a typical  Hy-Gain rotator failure. Is that right?
With the current worm-gear drive  rotators (e.g. Orion, BigBoy, AlfaSpid),
they
won't suffer the same fate. That's  why I'm really reluctant to pin Hy-Gain
and Yaesu rotators but
If someone is looking for a rotor that won't strip its gears, I have a small
prop pitch for sale.  It has a spline hub interface, and designed for
"pinning" the mast.  No slippage with that approach, and if you use my technique for
securing the mast, pin, and hub it won't loosen either.  For more details go to
www.w4qn.com

Regards,
Norm W4QN