[TowerTalk] Tower-mounted enclosure

ersmar@comcast.net ersmar at comcast.net
Tue Jan 3 09:45:23 EST 2006

Butch:

     For the same application at my QTH and tower I used Hoffman type 3R enclosures ( http://www.hoffmanonline.com/iHelps/Product.cfm?ID=7028A ).  These things are commercial grade and made to withstand water spalching and driven rains.

     I used Unistrut channels and J-bolts to attach the box to the angle steel of my tower base.  I installed the Polyphasers inside the enclosure so they protruded through to the outside.  My switch is also inside this enclosure, mounted onto the wall opposite the Poly's, connectors facing the front of the box, not downward.  I had to saw off a piece of the switch's mounting bracket to do this, though.   All coax cables enter this enclosure through a 3-inch PVC conduit system (way too small - shoulda used 4-inch.)

     One item I did not do yet was to install a multi-position barrier strip to connect the switch to its control cable.  My intention there is eventually to install MOVs on the terminals for a bit of lightning protection on the control cabling. inside the enclosure.

     I ran one of the ground wires (#2 solid copper) from my tower's leg inside the box to a ground terminal lug on the steel itself.  So everything inside can be grounded to the tower, to the earth rods, etc.

     Final touch: a padlock on the outside.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "Butch" <k4nau at comcast.net>