[TowerTalk] 80M Yagi - Height Recommendation

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Jan 4 21:00:25 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson at sbcglobal.net>
To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 1:14 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80M Yagi - Height Recommendation

>I am planning to install a 2 el 80M Yagi.  Originally it was going on a 120
> foot Rohn 55G tower.  I now have some flexibility and can put it on a
> taller
> tower, up to 190 feet.  What are the recommended heights for this type of
> beam, and why?  Thanks in advance for your comments.
>
> 73, Keith NM5G

Keith,

Take a look at slide #4 in the following presentation from
N6BV. It shows elevation plots for several different 80
meter antennas (including a 3 element Yagi at 200') along
with angle of arrival statistics derived from VOACAP:

http://www.kkn.net/dayton2004/N6BV-Dayton-2004.pdf

Unless your concentrating on domestic operation out to
say less than a thousand miles, I'd don't think there would
be any performance advantage to going with the lower
height.

Nice problem to have. Enjoy!!