[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest: Using Double Wall EMT for wire support

Daron J. Wilson daron at wilson.org
Mon Jan 9 23:09:43 EST 2006

I'm sure you'll get lots of comments on this, and I'm no structural
engineer, but here goes.

First, the rigid conduit is basically the same as water pipe, it is
malleable steel, i.e. it is soft.

Second, it is heavy.  Yes it is schedule 40 and the wall thickness is
substantial, but with that thickness comes weight, which you don't want too
much of.

IMHO, without any real engineering facts to support it, just having used
miles of conduit in the field in my job, it's too heavy and soft for that
substantial height.  I honestly think you will find steel tubing much better
for the solution.  Unfortunately, the tubing is hard to find in sizes that
allow you to do what you are describing, but I would think 60' would be
achievable.

FWIW, you might consider schedule 40 plumbing pipe if you decide to try this
because you can get it in approximately 20' lengths which may provide some
benefit.

I use rigid for 10' masts on towers quite often, 2" or 3", but never any
longer than 10'

Of course, your individual mileage may vary.

73
N7HQR