[TowerTalk] Elevated Guys ??

Tyler Stewart k3mm at verizon.net
Tue Jan 10 00:33:02 EST 2006

I've got 110' Rohn 45 and I used 1/2" angle steel 4' in 6' out with the long
side pointed towards the tower.  I used a couple of pieces of 3/4" rebar in
an X at the bottom of the anchor and a small camfer and hole for equalizer
plates at the top.  I planned on using about 1/3 yard of concrete per hole,
but I think it ended up being more like 1/2 since we hit a lot of shale type
rock the caved the sides a bit.  I think my anchors are about 85 feet from
the base if I remember correctly, with 3 sets of guys spaced to allow my 3
stack of KT34xa's on ring rotators.  No back guying either.

1/2" angle steel is quite a bit less expensive than using I beams because
you don’t have to weld on any doublers, which you need with I beams because
the web is fairly thin, making them a lot more expensive if you pay someone
to do it.  10 years ago I paid around $350 for 3 new 10' pieces of 1/2"
angle with the holes, camfer, and primer paint...ready to drop in the hole.
It's quite possible you could do it a lot cheaper using surplus steel, etc.

This tower has been up for over 10 years with no problems at all.  I'm using
3/8" Polygon fiberglass guys, BTW.

I did use an engineer to sign off on the design and it's important that you
take your soil, etc., into consideration, but if this anchor works for 110'
heavily loaded, it should certainly work at 65!

73, Ty K3MM