[TowerTalk] NEED ADVICE RE SNAPPED TOWER ANCHOR BOLT

K6XN k6xn at comcast.net
Mon Jan 16 22:13:12 EST 2006

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for recommendations as to how
to repair my snapped anchor bolt problem. I very much appreciate all your
advice and also the sense of urgency and the helpful spirit in which it was
given. What a great group this is!

After considering all inputs and also a number of recommendations as to whom
to turn to for professional help from members of the NCCC I intend to
proceed with assistance from Steve, K7LXC aka "Tower Tech" to have the
broken anchor bolt welded by Steve when he is in the Bay Area later this
month and as extra (and hopefully completely unnecessary insurance)I intend
to also have Steve install an additional four secondary anchor bolts by
having additional holes drilled in the concrete and additional secondary
anchor bolts epoxied in.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

FYI I have installed and used four self supporting tubular towers from US
Towers over the years and I have never had a problem before. In this latest
situation I believe I simply should have had the good sense to crank the
tower down before this last unusually severe storm hit. In two of my other
installations the self supporting towers were also each supporting a KLM
KT-34XA 6 element yagi on a 34 foot boom and a KLM 40 meter dipole...the
same antenna load as I have up now.....and all the others never had any
difficulties with anchor bolts. This last storm a few weeks ago was a
whopper though in my area and there were a number of large trees blown down
in my area during the storm.

In the future I will crank it down before serious storms hit :-)

Best regards, Ted, K6XN