[TowerTalk] Screw Anchor Question

ersmar@comcast.net ersmar at comcast.net
Mon Jan 16 22:38:20 EST 2006

Bill:

      In general, yes, a passive, sacrificial anode material can be used to protect against electrolytic corrosion.  But you have to know a lot more about the material to be protected and its environment than we have so far discussed here on TT.

     You can also use an active system in which a sacrificial anode is connected to the material to be protected but through a DC supply, usually in the vicinity of 100 Volts and adjustable.  This minute DC current (typically a couple hundred mAs) offsets the natural Galvanic current generated by the reaction of the metal in the wet electrolyte of the ground.  The anodic material and the set point for the DC rectifier feeding the whole shebang is determined a priori through measurements of the potential difference between the protected elements (ground rod, anchor screw, etc) and remote earth ground.

     I designed a few of these cathodic protection systems for the electric utility I worked for some years ago.  Most of our Korean-War era substations had been built with buried ground systems made of scrap boiler steel pipes - copper was in short supply, needed for jacketing for ammunition at the time.  It was only at these 1950's substations where we had to install active cathodic protection systems.  Never had occasion to design another one since, though.

     If you have an underground pipeline (gas or oil) running through your region, you might want to check with their local engineer.  He/she might be able to give you some pointers about cathodic protection in your area, and maybe, for some coffee and doughnuts, give you a brief tutorial.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr at arrl.net>