[TowerTalk] Triangular Crank-Up Wind Load Model

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 17 09:01:08 EST 2006

At 03:02 AM 1/17/2006, Michael Tope wrote:

> [...]

Mike raises some interesting points.. (and ones that would be hard to
analyze, too)
Also, consider:
1) When the tower is nested, it might have more wind drag per unit length
than when extended.  The porosity (if that's the right word) is higher when
extended.  The moment arm is shorter, but the wind drag might actually be
higher.

2) Following on Mike's comment from Karl T.: It also might depend on how
you define "failure".  It might have a higher wind rating in terms of
catastrophic collapse when retracted, but might actually deform and
jam/bind easier.

Jim