[TowerTalk] Tools for Installing Ground Rod?

noddie noddie at comcast.net
Mon Jan 23 18:15:42 EST 2006

Hi Howard,

I also have very hard compacted clay.  I used an impact hammer with a
special attachment designed for ground rods.  I borrowed mine, but you can
rent them cheaply.  It took all of about five minutes each rod to drive
down.

Mike K6BR

My soil is very, very hard clay which makes it a perfect tower base... in
fact we had to jack hammer it out to build the base...

... Strong constructions workers hitting the top of the 8' ground rods with
Sledge Hammers they were able to drive 1 in about 4 feet and one about 5
feet...  neither is deep enough....

Any suggestions on what mechanical or power tool to use to drive ground rods
further into the ground.  Plus I want to put in a few more....
Howard S. White Ph.D. P. Eng., VE3GFW/K6  ex-AE6SM  KY6LA
Website: www.ky6la.com
"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
"Ham Antennas Save Lives - Katrina, 2003 San Diego Fires, 911"