[TowerTalk] Rebar cage - ???

Eg9k@aol.com Eg9k at aol.com
Mon Jan 23 21:01:50 EST 2006

Hi all -   This past summer I had a  24' x 30' slab poured 4" thick with a 3'
x 4' by 16' deep at one corner to build  a barbecue on it. I was surprised
when I noticed they weren't using any rebar or  heavy wire.
The concrete man explained that the rebar wasn't  necessary with the  new
type concrete with the reinforcing fibers in it. He  stated he would put in the
rebar / wire if I wanted it, but it just be a  extra expense. I explained to
him that I had put in several pier type tower  bases over the years and had used
the rebar. His answer to me was he didn't  think the rebar would be needed
with the new type concrete, maybe the heavy grid  wire but not the rebar. I
figure there is some merit to what he's telling me  because he's been in the
concrete business for over 20 years. Something to think  about     73's   Harold
 -      K9ge