[TowerTalk] Ground rods

Gedas w8bya at mchsi.com
Tue Jan 24 19:38:26 EST 2006

I can sympathize with your situation.  My soil here (if I can call it that) is very, very dense and hard clay like yours.  It is close to turning to solid shale in a few million years <g>.  I have heard every tip in the world on how to drive stubborn ground rods into the ground and non of them worked.  I really have tried every trick.  I was able to get a handful of the heavy copper coated steel rods down 3' or so and then no more.  I finally found the perfect solution.  I borrowed an electric jack hammer.  If you remove the tip from the hammer it exposes a 1" opening 6 or so inches long.  By standing on a step ladder and slipping the end of the rod inside the hammer I was able to drive every rod in the ground within 15 minutes.  These are heavy tools and it was a bit of a job holding it vertical but it sure was something to finally see the rods go down.  As far as removing them, which I have had to do for several of them, I attached several cable clamps right next to each other and used the bucket of my small tractor to pluck them out.  If I did not have the tractor I would just cut them off several inches below ground level.
73,
Gedas

e-mail  w8bya at mchsi.com
online gallery  http://gedas.cc