[TowerTalk] what winch to use for a 40 ft tower

Alan Wilson ke4nu at ke4nu.myrf.net
Tue Jan 24 19:24:47 EST 2006

Thanks to all concerning raising and lowering a 40 ft rohn 25 with a
winch. It all looked good except I only have a light tgm 6 bander
modified quad on a wilson wr-500 rotator and plan to put up a approx 5
lb, vhf/uhf quad, so I'm saying maybe 40 lbs on top and thats stretching
it. But I do like the idea of the brake winch and worm gear winch. I
looked up grainger and they sale to only businesses. Is there anyway of
getting one another way? I live here in the boonies of western Montana.
I've checked harbor freight and ebay and all I find are boat winches and
motorized winches. Also about the guy wondering about how hi to go with
25, I do 40 ft here with a hinge base plate and yes it moves a little in
a strong wind. If I go up it I tie some ropes as guys to support it. 217
lbs is lot to be up there...73, Alan Wilson