[TowerTalk] Gotham Antennas

W4ZW w4zw at comcast.net
Wed Jan 25 11:59:10 EST 2006

> "Work the world with your Gotham vertical. Amazing
> performance. Radials  not required. V80 vertical $16.95. An appeal to
intelligence.
> A product  consistently advertised in QST month after month, year after
> year, has  to be good."

Ahhh, I remember it well!! Especially since my friend, Danny K4ZRA, was the
poster boy and Danny lived a block from me in Owensboro, KY.  The ad
proclaimed all the great DX Danny worked with his Gotham vertical with a
DX-35 as I remember.  What they didn't say was that Danny's father had
installed a 30' telephone pole in the back yard and mounted that Gotham on
top with radials as a ground plane.  It worked quite well on 15 meters
especially since we were at the top of the sunspot cycle.  I was running a
Globe Chief  with an old HRO-50T1 to a HyGain 14AVQ roof mounted with
drooping radials laid on the roof made from telephone line with conductors I
had cut for each band (remember those?).  But Danny's Gotham was my equal.
Oh, the power of those  QST ads!

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, FL
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"