[TowerTalk] Antenna field dissipating charge buildup

Mark Beckwith n5ot at n5ot.com
Wed Jul 5 09:36:35 EDT 2006

N2EA said:

> There is a reader of this reflector who has observed
> approaching squalls with strikes cease striking
> as they approached his multi-tower antenna field.

This is an anecdote reported by many more than one station owner/builder (I
think I can recall 5 or 6).  The number of reports would take it out of the
"wives tale" and "urban legend" category as far as I am concerned.

If your point is that no matter how quickly a multi-tower antenna field can
dissipate, there's always the potential (no pun intended) for a squall to
build up a charge faster than the rate at which the multi-tower field can
dissipate it, I'll absolutely agree with that.

Personally I think it is a great anecdote and an interesting concept.

Mark, N5OT