[TowerTalk] Heavy Guage Copper Wire Source??

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sat Jul 8 20:15:59 EDT 2006

With all this talk about lightning, I was thinking it might be
prudent to throw in a few heavy guage bare copper conductors
into the radial system that I am planning to install for my
short 160 meter vertical:

http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/Radial_Project/Radial.htm

Most of the radials will be light guage copper (perhaps
insulated depending on price), but I don't suppose it would
hurt to throw in some big conductors for lightning protection.
So the questions is, what size should I use #4, #2, ???
stranded or solid (presumably solid is best), and most
importantly what is my best bet in terms of price (electrical
wholesaler, surplus, grand theft (just kidding), etc).

Thanks,