[TowerTalk] generators/transfer switches etc Re: Yet AnotherLightning Strike

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 9 01:05:48 EDT 2006

At 06:38 PM 7/8/2006, Clay Curtiss W7CE wrote:

> > I'm thinking of getting rid of that 9500 watt portable and installing a
> > permanent 15 to 20 KW natural gas fired unit. First thing they'd do would
> > be
> > shut off the gas and they'd not even have to worry about transfer
> > switches.
> > That old 9500 has had over 100 hours of use in the last 5 years.
> >

>I have an 8 KW unit that is permanently installed and runs on natural gas.

Around here (southern CA), the most likely natural disaster that would
cause an outage is an earthquake, which would shut off the gas at the
meter, if not further up the chain.  Diesel or propane are probably better
bets in some areas.  One advantage of natural gas is that the air quality
regulatory issues are easier.  A permanently installed standby generator
running on gas and/or diesel is going to probably require a permit, if only
for the periodic tests.

There might be a "safe harbor" exemption for single family dwelling sorts
of applications or for tiny generators (<10HP, I think), but for a
business, you're definitely on the hook.  And, if you run your generator in
a non-emergency situation (e.g. during a Stage 2 or 3 alert, but before the
outage has occurred) there's a whole 'nother raft of rules you need to be
aware of.

Jim