[TowerTalk] Cadwelding vs Silver Solder for Ground Radial Systems

Dr M J DiGirolamo DrD at 2020.com
Sun Jul 9 06:21:20 EDT 2006

Dear TT Colleagues,

   There has been so much discussion here about dealing with lightning
protection and grounding systems that I can't remember whether I read about the
following topic or not.

   I'm planning a ground radial system for each tower leg (yes, a peripheral
ground system and single point ground, etc too) and have decided to use a heavy
braided tinned copper cable as the radial for each of these legs.  I have just
about ruled out copper ribbon for various reasons.  Ground rods will be 6' or 8'
deep set on 12' or 16' centers.

    Question is: Cadwelding is VERY EXPENSIVE when used to attach the radials to
the ground rods!   Can anyone comment on whether there will be sufficient
bonding and heat protection if a heavy silver solder bond is made in place of
the cadweld.  I realize that cadwelding forms a molecular bond but it's just so
darn expensive.

73,

Mike DiGirolamo, W4XN
Charlottesville, VA