[TowerTalk] Lightning Strike

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Mon Jul 10 11:28:56 EDT 2006

Hi Doug,

This kind of logic sounds kind of silly when it comes from someone else
doesn't it? I am trying to get you to think about what you are saying and
the validity of the evidence you use.

Now, why would you conclude that because you hear corona discharge or
sparking at the tower that it means charge is being bled off enough to
prevent a strike?
You even say that "your neighbor saw a direct hit and you may have seen a
direct hit to your tower". This, while your tower is bleeding off charge to
prevent a strike?

It is quite common for these things to happen in a storm or approaching
storm. It happens on many towers. Ask most any broadcast engineer and they
will tell you stories about corona and arcing guy insulators as storms
approach, before they take a strike!

Sparking and corona noise on a tower tells you nothing about the amount of
charge being bled off.

I will repost part of one of my post again:

"Doug,

You do realize that my comments about the rabbit's foot protector are in
jest to those that claim that the bleed off type systems are seen to add
protection to a tower?"

Maybe you missed the word "JEST" in my post?
So in regard to the discussion, whether my tower has ever been hit or not is
immaterial.

Again, my rabbit's foot theory is an attempt to get some to think about the
evidence they use as "proof" that a particular device "prevents" a lightning
strike.

But in all seriousness I have never had any lightning damage that I am aware
of. Has my tower ever been hit? It is possible. I do have several lightning
strike counters but don't have any hooked to the tower. I used to have one
on the AC line and have seen it click over a few times.

73
Gary  K4FMX