[TowerTalk] 4 awg copper wire and Amp locks

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Jul 11 04:18:24 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux at earthlink.net>

> At 07:38 PM 7/10/2006, Robert Chudek - K0RC wrote:
>>Well we might as well shut down this Tower Talk reflector for as much good
>>as it's doing... I can't believe after weeks of discussions regarding
>>proper ground system bonding, this post has been made... The picture shows
>>two violations... #1) a stranded ground wire and #2) a non exothermic
>>connection.
>>
>>73 de Bob - K0RC

> Well.. what might be good/standard practice in the commercial world may
> not
> be needed in the amateur world. It's all about risk acceptance. Consider
> transient protection for ham gear.. one could take the commercial approach
> and protect everything 17 different ways ( a good idea if that gear is
> supporting your income), or, I can do nothing, and be willing to lose it
> all in the unlikely (here in SoCal) event of a nearby lightning strike.

And just to put it all in perspective, consider how all the utililties
entering your house are grounded. Is it an array of ground rods
bussed together 00 cooper and Cadwelded connections? No, its a
single 8ft ground rod with a compression clamp. And that's the
electrical utility ground. Look at the CATV ground. It's a puny little
ground block with a #12 AWG wire clamped through a #10 screw
(if your lucky). Same for the telephone ground.