[TowerTalk] TT SHUTDOWN (was: 4 awg copper wire and Amp locks)

Martin Ewing martin.ewing at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 11:20:29 EDT 2006

JC Smith wrote:
> Gary's right although copper strap can be overpriced depending on where you
> find it.  Copper tubing is such a common commodity it's hard to overprice
> it.  One other advantage tubing has is it's easy to protect from
> weedwackers, lawnmowers (not the blades), etc.  Just run it inside a length
> of thick hose.

If you are running strap in order to make a ground, you don't want to
insulate it -- at least when it's running underground.  Maybe you are
referring to runs above ground.

> I wonder... if you roll (the long way) copper strap you could put it inside
> hose.  As long as the inside circumference of the hose was greater than the
> width of the strap you wouldn't be forming a tube with the strap.  What if
> you slit the copper tube before using it, would that be enough to allow both
> the inside and outside to conduct high frequency current?

You get minimum impedance when the strap is flat.  If you roll it up, it
is no better than thin wall tubing - i.e., there is no current on the
inside.  Impedance per foot is roughly doubled.  A narrow slit on tubing
won't change things at all, since all the current flow is longitudinal.
  Pound for pound of copper, you get the best ground with a wide flat
strap, maybe 10 skin depths thick.  You get the least effective ground
by compressing it into a circular rod (wire).  Hollow tubing is a little
better.

Basically all the interior copper (below the skin depth) is wasted for
AC current flow.  Of course, it does give you better physical strength
and thermal mass.  (A low impedance ground isn't much help if it gets
vaporized.  Has anyone done a thermal analysis for very thin strap in a
lightning surge?)

> Just some thoughts.
>
> 73 - JC, K0HPS

73 Martin AA6E