[TowerTalk] TT SHUTDOWN (was: 4 awg copper wire and Amp locks)

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 12 12:56:02 EDT 2006

At 07:41 AM 7/12/2006, Michael Tope wrote:

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux at earthlink.net>
>

>>>I wonder... if you roll (the long way) copper strap you could put it inside
>>>hose.  As long as the inside circumference of the hose was greater than the
>>>width of the strap you wouldn't be forming a tube with the strap.  What if
>>>you slit the copper tube before using it, would that be enough to allow both
>>>the inside and outside to conduct high frequency current?
>>
>>There's no reason why you couldn't propagate current on the inside of the
>>pipe without slitting it.  That's what happens in coax.
>
>Not without a center conductor. Otherwise you'd have a waveguide
>beyond cutoff.

Only if you're propagating the wave in a transverse mode. DC is below
cutoff, but it's carried on the inside(as well as inside the metal,
etc.).  The question might be, if you have a seamless tube, and you have a
current on the inside, will the magnetic field push it to the outside.  An
interesting problem.