[TowerTalk] SECOND FLOOR SHACK

JC Smith jc-smith at comcast.net
Wed Jul 12 19:56:31 EDT 2006

Sorry, guys, but I must disagree.  While a shack ground is NOT a sink for
noise, it IS far more than lightning protection.  It is supposed to provide
a low-impedance path for stray RF that inadvertently runs around in the
shack.  In an ideal world, perhaps, there should be no stray RF, antennas
should be perfectly balanced, etc, etc, but as anyone who has ever
experienced microphone bite can attest, things ain't always perfect.  Mic
bite may be a minor annoyance, but stray RF can let all sorts of gremlins
loose in the shack.  Also, as anyone who enjoys vintage equipment knows,
most old rigs did not have three-wire cords so in addition to lightning
protection the shack ground also provided an electrical safety ground for
the chassis of these older rigs, but this feature has nothing to do with its
length.

I did, however, use the term "resonant ground lengths" incorrectly.  It is
ground lengths that are odd multiples of 1/4 wavelength for your operating
frequencies that you want to avoid.  Sorry about that... should have engaged
the brain before putting the mouth (or keyboard) in gear.

I must admit that I learned this stuff 45 years ago (with a refresher about
20 years ago) so maybe things have changed.

73 - JC, K0HPS